Clinical psychology is the area of psychology focused on the assessment and treatment of mental health issues. A PhD in clinical psychology can give practitioners the advanced knowledge and skills needed to work in research, clinical practice, or consulting. Due to the nature of clinical psychology, most PhD programs do require some level of in-person participation, but we have selected schools that offer most of their program in a flexible, online format. We ranked these programs by their average graduate tuition rates published by College Navigator. We recognize that your tuition rate may be different and encourage you to discussion your personal financial situation with an admissions team to determine what financial aid opportunities are available. Below, we highlight the top 5 most affordable online Phd/PsyD programs in clinical psychology.
Top Cheap Online PsyD Clinical Psychology Programs
|#1||Capella University||$540 per credit|
|#2||University of the Cumberlands||$16,877|
|#4||California Southern University-Irvine||$495 per credit|
|#5||Saybrook University||$ 1,170|
|#6||Fielding Graduate University||$16,280|
5. Saybrook University – Oakland, California
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
Average Graduate Student Tuition: $20,856/year
The low-cost online PhD in clinical psychology from Saybrook University gives students the practical skills needed to be successful in professional practice. Students are closely mentored by experienced faculty with years of industry experience. Course offerings include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Applied with Humanistic and Integrative Approaches
- Mindfulness and Spirituality in Clinical Practice
- Meaning Centered Counseling and Therapy
The program combines online courses with periodic in-person residential conferences. Students also complete:
- a clinical practicum
- a comprehensive exam to complete their degree.
4. Fielding Graduate University – Santa Barbara, California
PhD Clinical Psychology
Average Graduate Student Tuition: $17,296/year
The high-quality PhD in Psychology online from Fielding Graduate University is designed for the working professional. This three-year program uses a unique learning model that includes live video seminars to support students with career, family, and community responsibilities. Students and faculty meet annually at professional conferences to discuss and present research. The general focus of the program gives students the breadth of psychology knowledge while allowing them to specialize in an area of interest. Graduates have become successful:
- university faculty
- independent researchers
- mental health professionals.
3. Regent University – Virginia Beach, Virginia
PhD in Counseling and Psychological Studies
Average Graduate Student Tuition: $15,552/year
Regent University offers an affordable PhD in psychology with 11 different areas of specialization. Students can focus their studies in areas like:
- Addictions Counseling
- Biblical Counseling
- Grief Counseling
- Human Services Counseling
Courses are taught from a Christian worldview by renowned faculty members. Students will develop a strong foundation in research methods while studying the scientific and theological elements of the field. Regent awards three full-tuition scholarships to new PhD students with a clear counseling ministries vision and implementation plan.
2. Capella University – Minneapolis, Minnesota
Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Clinical Psychology
Average Graduate Student Tuition: $14,767/year
Capella University features an affordable clinical psychology PsyD with a comprehensive curriculum. Students:
- complete coursework
- participate in face-to-face residencies
- complete a clinical practicum and internships
- conduct research that allows them to put theory into practice
Course offerings include:
- Theories of Psychotherapy
- Evidence-Based Practice in Psychology
- Strategies of Clinical Supervision and Consultation
Courses are taught by distinguished faculty members with top credentials in their fields. Students can save money by transferring in eligible credits from an accredited university. Capella also offers a 10% military discount.
1. Liberty University – Lynchburg, Virginia
PhD in Psychology
Average Graduate Student Tuition: $7,935/year
The affordable PhD in Psychology at Liberty University is a 60-credit hour program that takes three years to complete. Courses are offered 100% online in eight-week sessions. Students will gain an understanding of the human experience from a biblical worldview while preparing for a career in academia and research. Featured courses include:
- Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology
- Psychological Research and Biblical Worldview
- Theories and Research in I/O Psychology
Students can choose from five different specializations including:
- Developmental Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Social Psychology
Students with prior graduate work can save money by transferring in up to 50% of the degree total.
- Top 10 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Clinical Psychology Degree Programs
- What Does a Clinical Psychologist Do?
- 5 Career Settings for a Clinical Psychologist
- 5 Differences Between Clinical and Developmental Psychology
- 5 Differences Between Social Psychology and Clinical Psychology
- 5 Fascinating Clinical Psychology Case Studies
- 5 Highest Paying Careers in Clinical Psychology
- 5 Internship Opportunities in Clinical Psychology
- 5 Podcasts for Clinical Psychology
- 5 Reasons to Become a Clinical Psychologist
- 5 TED Talks on Clinical Psychology
- 5 Websites for Clinical Psychologists
- Online Clinical Psychology Degree
- Can Clinical Psychologists Prescribe Medication?
- What are the Differences Between a Clinical Psychologist and a Counselor?
- What Does a Clinical Psychologist Do?
- What is the Employment Outlook for Clinical Psychologists?
- 5 Careers in Health Psychology
- What is an Academic Year in Residence?
- To What Jobs Could a PhD in Psychology With a Concentration in Parent-Infant Mental Health Lead?
- What is Psychopharmacology?